After not participating in his team’s first win on Sunday, Cleveland Browns linebacker Scott Fujita may be at the end of his 11-year NFL career.
While initially disclosed as a shoulder injury, it appears Fujita has a neck injury, reported ESPN. On Sunday, he was listed as inactive after joining the injury report thanks to a neck and shoulder injury.
Prior to getting hurt, he had played in the four previous games.
Now it is looking grim and neither Fujita nor the Browns have commented on the situation.
Even with his injury last week, Fujita didn’t let his anger go about his bounty suspension. On Wednesday, he released a statement that said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell acted in “an absolute abuse of power” and that his actions were “conduct detrimental” to the NFL.
Fujita had initially been suspended three games but it was recently cut to a single game. He is appealing this and until the appeal has been heard, he was eligible to continue playing.
Throughout the ordeal, Fujita has maintained his innocence.
In his career, he was drafted by Kansas City Chiefs in 2002 and in 2009, was a member of the Super Bowl-winning New Orleans Saints.
Fujita has collected 767 career tackles with 23.5 sacks.
Meanwhile another player who may be seeing the end of his NFL as well is Detroit Lions running back Jahvid Best.
The player suffered a concussion on Oct. 16, 2011; he hasn’t fully recovered from it. On Monday, Lions coach Jim Schwartz wouldn’t directly answer the question posed by the media whether he would be up to speed to play again but later in the day, General Manager Martin Mayhew issued a statement saying medical experts had said to Best and the team, it’s is still unsafe for him to play football.
He said via the Lion’s website:
After today’s consultation with medical experts, including representatives from our medical and training staffs, it has been determined that Jahvid will not be permitted to return to play at this time.
“Throughout this entire process we always have placed the highest priority on what is best for Jahvid from a health and safety standpoint. While today’s decision is disappointing from a football perspective, we fully and entirely respect and support this recommendation.
“Jahvid will continue to work with our medical and training staffs with the hope that he ultimately will be cleared to return to the playing field.”
Prior to his concussion last season, Best suffered from two of them during his college years. Looks like third one is the final strike for him.